Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

November 12, 2012

East Wind: West Wind - Pearl S. Buck

Criticism:

This book is the first book written by Pearl S. Buck, but it impressed me very possitively. It seemed to me extremely delicate and beautiful, written in a very poetic and fluid style. At the same time, it is easy and quick to read, without
harsh surprises or a strong tension. In this way, the plot is as delicate as the way in which it is written, but at the same time as pretty. I admire the way in which the author was able to transmit with such detail and so deeply the cultural crash that occurred between the chinese and the occidental societies, as I think that what is seen in this book is very true, as it demonstrates how both cultures are at the same time as how the people who experienced this crash acted.
In the beginning, the book seems too simple, trivial and superficial; but soon it is easy to discover that it is much deeper than it seems, and that it transmits many values to the reader. That is why I would recommend it to anyone; specially to any girl (the narrator always talks to a supposed "sister").

Author's official webpage: Nonexistent

No comments:

Post a Comment