Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

November 03, 2012

Bloodtide - Melvin Burgess

Criticism:

This is one of the few books which I, sincerely, regret having read. I started it because a friend of mine recommended it to me, telling me that the tension was touchable, and I thought that she referred to tension in common with the main character, or something of the sort. I was wrong. At the start I found an imaginative, interesting story... but slowly- or rather suddenly- I started to become hooked. But this type of interest was not the same as in any book; instead I got hooked because I feared that when I stopped reading without having finished it I would be turned into what the book itself transmits. It is macabre, twisted, overflowing with an infectious madness. Sincerely, it disgusts me and when I was reading it I feared that my mind turned as dirty as it was. I had to finish it so that it ended well and so that I could therefore recover a normal mental state, not so unsetteled and deranged as the one infected by the book. I, personally, wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but if someone wants to read something which is not a terror book but rather unpleasant, disturbing and twisted, this is their book.

Author's official webpage: http://www.melvinburgess.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment