Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

January 28, 2013

The World's Wife - Carol Ann Duffy

Criticism:

This book is full of poems which retell the reader a myth in which the females have normally been overshadowed by male figures, but this time from a female's point of view. Carol Ann Duffy does this because she wants to transmit a very active feminist perspective, and uses a brusque, direct and
strong style to do this. She fights for her ideas in her poems using modern language, settings and ideas to show that women can be independent, strong, and dominant.
I like this style of poetry because it is direct, original, and never boring. It transmits feeling through acts, sounds and forms, instead of descriptions of the feelings themselves, and I find this entertaining and effective. However, Duffy's poems are sometimes too strong for my taste, and I sometimes feel as if some parts were out of place, or quite awkward in regards to continuing reading; and therefore I would recommend the book to people above 16 years of age. But apart from those moments, Duffy's poems usually feel natural and amusing, light and mostly dynamic.

Author's official webpage: http://www.carolannduffy.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment