Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

September 02, 2012

Cloud Atlas- David Mitchell

Criticism:

This book is a stunning, incredibly written mixture of six stories written not just to grip the reader but also to make him think about the world. The first story takes place in the past, and is left unfinished when the second appears, written later on in history, and so on until the sixth, which is written in a very distant future, told whole, and followed by the second half of the fifth, then of the forth, etc. What is amazing of this book is how each story is written in the style of the time period it talks about, how the message describing human nature is reaffirmed in each story in different, subtle ways.
It is true that the first two or three stories are quite boring, but to finish the book is in the end no difficult task- altthough the language can prove complicated and the reader may be needy of a dictionary in some parts.
Especially the fifth story- for me- is a gripping, passionate adventure which I could not make myself stop reading; and once I finished the whole book, I needed some time to think about what I had just encountered, to make all the connections. I can assure you that this book is really worth reading.

By the way, the film has already opened, and it looks great; with actors like Hugh Grant and Tom Hanks. Watch the trailer by clicking here. You'll not be let down.

Author's official webpage: http://www.thousandautumns.com/

Cloud Atlas

No comments:

Post a Comment