Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

June 12, 2011

Extras - Scott Westerfeld

Criticism

Extras is a sequel to the collection of Uglies, Pretties and Specials in which the main characters of the previously mentioned series appear very little. In reality, the story told in this book happens three years after the events that happent in the previous saga and both are not very related. Maybe that is why I haven't liked this book as much as the previous series. In it I suffered a lot in the beginning, and I don't think that everyone will like the main characters. Like the series, it is a book that shows you the dangers of lying and how much damage and hurt it can cause to people. It shows the reader nowaday society's danger and how manipulated we are by it. Popularity, in this book, is the main source of disaster. That is why this book is philosophical, too, in a very indirect way and is quite good. It contains action, a bit of romanticism and a very good story and, although it's not the book I've liked most of the author, I must admit that as the main characters of the previous collection appear I liked it more. It is very well written and quite dramatic.

Author's official webpage: http://scottwesterfeld.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment