Before anything, I'd like to say that even though this blog is written in English, I recommend you to do as I did and read the books I criticise in their original language (if you can). This way you'll like them much more and you'll find astute word games and double meanings which will help you read the book in all of its potential.

December 26, 2013

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Criticism:

The story told by this novel is extremely moving and unpredictable. It hooks the reader and fills him with curiosity and excitement. Nevertheless, I must comment that, for me, it is in too
little detail. Not in the sense of it being difficult to visualize what the author describes; on the contrary, that is very easy and realistic. But when reading the story I felt as if it happened in one or two months, instead of in a few years. But, more importantly, I didn't get the impression of knowing what had actually happened in those year-months and, moreover, I didn't get the impression of really getting to know the characters with which I did get to empathize. To my taste, not even the main character has enough development and character for the reader to really know his thoughts, feelings, future decisions and, in general, his world; and for me this is a very important detail because when someone reads a fiction book like this one, which has the objective of entertaining, the person is usually trying to find new worlds which they can explore and in which they can live.
Nevertheless, Ender's Game is exceptional, and it is well finished (although the ending is not the one which I would have liked the most, it makes sense and doesn't make the reader feel as if something more should be told).

Author's official webpage: http://www.orsonscottcard.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment